Get to know the staff at United Way NWA! This “Get to Know Us” blog is about Kelsey Brock, our Director of Community Engagement.
1. What is the best thing about working at United Way?
Working with such an amazing staff who all have the same goal of doing good for the community and making a positive impact!
2. Why do you like working for a non-profit?
My ultimate goal in life has always been to help people and somehow, in some way, make a difference. Working in non-profit allows me to fulfill that goal every day.
3. What does your job entail and how long have you been doing it?
My job is so fun! I get to work with all of our amazing volunteers who help meet the needs of various non-profits in the community! This is my first month working at United Way as a professional, but I was a United Way volunteer myself earlier this year!
4. If you were not working at United Way, what would your dream job be?
Hmm…To be a Rockette at Radio City Music hall in NYC!
5. What is one thing you think people don’t know about United Way?
I do not think people truly understand how many different agencies we impact across NWA! United Way is so much more than what is seen on the surface.
6. What do you do in your spare time?
I have a love/hate relationship with running. Haha! I love doing half marathons with my husband, cheering on the Arkansas State University Red Wolves and New England Patriots! My family lives across the state, so I spend a lot of time Skyping.
7. What is your favorite book?
“The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini
8. What is your favorite movie?
That Thing You Do!
9. What type of music do you like?
When I was growing up my grandpa picked me up from school every day and we listened to all sorts of Big Band music, Frank Sinatra, and all sorts of 1950’s jazz. That is definitely my favorite, not just for the music but for the memories attached to it!
10. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
The culture and history of Hawaii is really fascinating and beautiful to me, I would love to see it firsthand! I have always wanted to go see the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, too! Hawaii is definitely on my bucket list.
11. What’s the strangest talent you have?
I don’t think this is a talent, but I have ridiculously good hearing. I think that is more of a superpower, myself…