The Child Abuse Response program at the Children’s Advocacy Center is one of the 66 programs partially funded by United Way. Check out this awesome story of survival, and about the difference just one person can have in the life of a child.
“A little boy came to the CAC to share his story and was as nervous as he could be. He arrived with his mom, dad and siblings – they had not had anything to eat all day because they had very low resources, and only dad’s income to depend on. The family was very grateful when their advocate offered them hot pockets to eat. They were so thankful that all the kids drew pictures for the advocate to show their appreciation. Not only was this family grateful while they were here, but continued to show their appreciation every time they came for counseling. While at the CAC this little boy was able to have a voice and talk about his abuse during his forensic interview. He said that it felt good to talk about it with someone who listened, and cared about him. The CAC was able to provide tremendous services for this family including counseling once a week not only for the child, but also his whole family; fun school supplies for all the kids; Christmas gifts for he and his siblings as well; a few warm sweaters for the kids, and resources for food when they were in need, and dad’s income wasn’t enough for the month.”
Last year 2,446 counseling sessions were provided by the CAC, 729 families were provided consistent assistance and support, and 699 children were able to find their voice through the forensic interview service.
If you are interested in helping this program, so that you can assist families just like this to heal and get back on the path to success, check out what your gift can do:
- $5 a week ($260/year) will provide:
- 1 counseling session to a client and their family members so they can begin healing.
- 2 forensic interviews where a child only has to speak to one person one
- $10 a week ($520/year) will provide:
- 1 counseling session to a client and their family members to begin healing.
- 1 sexual assault medical exam by a specialized nurse examiner in our on-site medical room.
- 1 forensic interview where a child only has to speak to one person one time.
- $20 a week ($1,040/year) will provide:
- 2 counseling sessions to a client and their family members to begin healing.
- Advocacy for 2 clients advocacy where family needs are assessed, provided follow-up and
- 2 forensic medical exams by a specialized nurse examiner in our on-site medical room.
- 2 forensic interviews where a child only has to speak to one person one time.