FREE TAX SERVICE INITIATIVE
United Way provides two different ways to have your taxes prepared for FREE under the Free Tax Service Initiative!
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is an in-person resource to those eligible to provide free tax preparation. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. See FAQ’s below for qualifications.
Click to find a CARE Community Center VITA site
January 23 – April 13, 2017
(CARE COMMUNITY SITES LL BE CLOSED MARCH 21-25)
2510 N 17 St. Suite 210, Rogers, AR 72756
Monday – Saturday, 8 AM – 2 PM
Monday & Tuesday, 5 PM – 8 PM
Appointment Only, 479-246-0104
3277 W Sunset Suite F, Springdale, AR 72762
Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 3 PM
Appointment Only, 479-310-0087
Siloam Springs Location (Manna Center)
670 Heritage Court, Siloam Springs, AR 72761
Tuesday & Thursday, 1 PM – 4 PM
Appointment Only, 479-246-0104
Fayetteville AARP Tax Aid (Boys & Girls Club)
560 N. Rupple Road, Fayetteville, AR 72704
Monday, Wednesday, Friday,
Appointment Only, 479-310-0087
Click to find a WestArk RSVP VITA site
February 1 – April 18, 2017
114 North 34th Street, Rogers, AR 72756
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. — 4 p.m.
Walk In unless you are a senior, 60 years or older
(Appointments only for seniors 60 years of age or older, 479-636-0578)
Holiday Island Location
Holiday Island Presbyterian Church, Stateline and Walnut, Holiday Island, AR 72631.
Tuesday & Thursday, 9 a.m. — 2 p.m.
Located outside of Northwest Arkansas?
For locations outside of Northwest Arkansas, see here.
United Way of Northwest Arkansas and My Free Taxes are making it even easier to file your taxes when it’s convenient for you! MyFreeTaxes.com can be used to file federal and state taxes in all 50 states for those who qualify. You can log on 24/7 to myfreetaxes.com and file your taxes for FREE! If you run into any problems, or have any questions, you can dial 1-855-698-9435 for assistance.
Click for more information on MyFreeTaxes.com
Using this site, you will be able to:
- Use free tax preparation and e-filing of your federal and state return.
- Get assistance; if you have questions, you can call a certified tax coach using the toll free number or email address provided.
- If unable to contact the certified tax coach immediately, you can leave a message and your call will be returned within 24 hours.
- Obtain knowledge and understanding about filing your return.
- Build confidence to file without assistance in the future.
If you would like additional information on this effort please go here for more detailed information. If you are familiar and know your IRS PIN number, you can go directly to the link to file your taxes FREE: www.myfreetaxes.com
Frequently Asked Questions
MyFreeTaxes.com vs. VITA
Toggle content goes here, click edit button to change this text.
Do I qualify?
- VITA Income Limit: $54,000
- MyFreeTaxes.com Income Limit: $64,000
Am I eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?
Learn more about EITC qualifications here.
What is Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?
Earned Income Tax Credit is one of the nation’s largest anti-poverty programs, annually lifting 6.6 million people out of poverty; half are children. Last year, over 27 million workers received nearly $65 billion in EITC. The average credit was over $2,400, but can be as much as $6,143 this year depending on the worker’s income, marital status and whether they have children. Learn more about EITC qualifications here.
Do I need an appointment?
See locations in above listing for specific sites and locations requiring appointments or providing walk-in service.
What documents do I need to bring?
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Do I need to file?
If you or your spouse is at least 25 years of age you should file (even if your income is very low) because you may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). EITC is a tax credit for certain people who work and have low wages. A tax credit usually means more money in your pocket.
How fast will I get my EITC return?
Beginning in 2017, if you claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) on your tax return, the IRS must hold your refund until after February 15. Learn more here.
Where can I find more financial literacy resources?
A call specialist from Arkansas 211 can assist in connecting you with financial literacy tools in the Northwest Arkansas area. Dial 2-1-1 (alternate number 479-365-2147) to speak to a representative today.
What can VITA prepare and not prepare?
Learn more about what the VITA service can help with here.
Thank you for your interest in helping to get the word out about the Free Tax Service Initiative! If you do not have printing capabilities to print the above documents, you can request to pick-up materials at the United Way office (100 Parkwood Lowell) or for materials to be dropped off at your company/organization. Limited quantities are available so materials will be given out on a first come first serve basis.
3,410 hardworking individuals and families in Northwest Arkansas filed their taxes through our Free Tax Service Initiative in 2016.
These individuals and families received over $4.3 million in tax refunds in 2016.
These individuals and families received over $1.1 million from the Earned Income Tax Credit in 2016.