Get to know the staff at United Way NWA! This “Get to Know Us” blog is about Alexa McGriff, our Manager of Marketing & Communications.
1. What is the best thing about working at United Way?
The best thing about working at United Way is the interaction that we get to have with so many other organizations – both businesses and nonprofits. I love creating meaningful relationships with people and United Way is all about meaningful relationships!
2. Why do you like working for a non-profit?
Nonprofits change people’s lives – they really do. I had a nonprofit change my life several years ago, so giving back to my community by working for a nonprofit gives me a great sense of satisfaction.
3. What does your job entail and how long have you been doing it?
I’m the Manager of Marketing & Communications, so I help shape the message that United Way sends out the community. That means that I manage all of our social media outlets, our website, our email blasts, and I help the other teams craft messaging that is concise and makes sense. I have been at United Way for about 4 months, but have been a marketing professional for 4 and half years now.
4. If you were not working at United Way, what would your dream job be?
My dream job would be to do marketing for the Boston Celtics (NBA basketball team)…but working for United Way is a close second!
5. What is one thing you think people don’t know about United Way?
I don’t think people realize how much impact United Way really does have on the community. I mean, 57 partner agencies and over 70 programs being supported through United Way funding? That’s crazy! We’ve touched over 100,000 lives in the last year through our funding and volunteering efforts – that’s real impact!
6. What do you do in your spare time?
I am a runner, so you’ll often find me on the side of the road jogging along to the beat of Michael Jackson or Taylor Swift. I also enjoy golfing, watching movies, and hanging out with my husband, Jarrett, and dog, Cosmo.
7. What is your favorite book?
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers AND How Remarkable Women Lead by Joanna Barsh & Susie Cranston
8. What is your favorite movie?
Mean Girls. Hands down. I know, I know. I just love Tina Fey and pre-crazy Lindsay Lohan!
9. What type of music do you like?
All music! Except scream-o. But I’m especially fond of 80s music and pop.
10. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
New York City. I just love it! There’s so much to see and do and everyone is always moving – I love that!
11. What’s the strangest talent you have?
I have the magical ability to mess up the simplest of recipes in the kitchen – needless to say, my manfriend cooks most of the time.